Thursday, October 4, 2012

Foil Baked Masala Fish


    A couple of years ago, I had an amazing fish dish at a local Asian fusion restaurant.  Thai Red Snapper.  The fish was covered in a spicy Thai paste and wrapped in banana leaves, served with amazing brown rice, and steamed vegetables.  Healthy, but much more importantly, so YUMMY!  Since then I have been wanting to make an Indian version of the same dish.  First problem…I don't think I can get big banana leaves near me.  No problem; I have foil.  Second problem…snapper is hard to find too!  Problem solved; tilapia is a good substitute.  And now for the hard part…getting the spices right.  It took quite a few tries, but I finally got it right!  When I was visiting my parents over the summer, I decided to do another fish experiment.  And with lots of hesitation and a bit of faith, I decided to just start throwing together a bunch of spices!  Thankfully I had the foresight to measure and right it down as I went!  Amazingly enough, it was exactly what I wanted!

    This dish is not only light, healthy and very flavorful; it is SUPER FAST and EASY!  I usually use tilapia, but you could go with any white fish you enjoy.  I hear snapper is a good option.  :)  I served it on a bed of brown rice and one of my favorite vegetable dishes, carrots and scallions.  I will share that recipe with you soon. I promise!  But for now, enjoy the fish!





















    1/4 tsp. Turmeric
    1/4 tsp. Red Chile Powder
    2 tsp. Coriander Powder
    1 Tb Madras Curry Powder
    1/4 tsp. Salt
    2 tsp. Cumin Powder
    1-2 tsp. Jalapeno Paste (optional)
    4-5 cloves Garlic, minced
    1 Tb Ginger Paste
    3-4 Tb Olive Oil
    3-4 Tilapia Filets
    8-10 sprigs Cilantro

    Preheat oven to 375 F.

    Mix all spices and herbs together with oil to make a paste.

    Place individual filets on large pieces of foil (the foil needs to be large enough to fold over and wrap into a pouch for the fish).  Generously coat both sides of each filet with the masala paste.  Top with a couple sprigs of cilantro.  Wrap into a pouch with foil.

    Place the pouches in a large baking dish/sheet to help catch any messy spills and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the fish is cooked through.  Serve on rice with your favorite veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment