Monday, August 13, 2012

Super Quick Eggless Meatballs

So I've been on somewhat of a hiatus from the blog this summer.  Between mini-vacations, swim lessons, and other summer-time hi-jinks, I haven't had much time or energy to sit and record new recipes to share.  Not to fret, I've been taking lots of great pictures and will have a cornucopia of recipes to share come fall when both boys will be in school.  (What will I do with that extra 8 hours a week of alone time!?!?)  But I just had to share this one recipe with you now!

After a morning at the water park and an afternoon playing out in the yard, I really didn't know what to make for dinner. I knew it had to be quick and easy.  Not to mention I haven't been to the grocery store in over a week, so the pickings were slim. Digging through the freezer, I found some ground beef and thought there must be something quick and easy I can make.  Then I was reminded of a recipe I had discovered on Pinterest that touted the World's Fastest Meatballs at Food Wishes.  (Man, I LOVE Pinterest!!)  I took a look and it seemed pretty easy, but of course it had egg in it.  So with a bit of creative thinking, I was able to put together an eggless recipe.  I wasn't sure how they'd turn out, but I had to start somewhere.  They ended up being perfect the first time around!! 

Now, you're going to want to sit down for what I'm going to say next.  Are you sitting?  OK…here goes…

I made these meatballs in about the same time it would have taken me to boil water and cook pasta.  Yes, go ahead and read that over again.  That's right.  It took about 20 minutes.  And that was including time to dig around my pantry for the breadcrumbs.  And the best part of the whole night?  Both my boys LOVED it!  Even my picky 2 year old who won't eat much of anything had 4 of them!  This is definitely going to be on the regular menu cycle. 



















1/3 c. Bread Crumbs
1/4 c. plus 1Tb Milk
1 tsp. Olive Oil
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder (or more)
1/4 tsp. Dried Parsley
1/4 tsp. Dried Basil
1/8 tsp. Dried Oregano
1/8 tsp. Dried Thyme
1 lb Ground Beef
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
1/8 tsp. White Pepper
1/4 c. Grated Parmesan Cheese

Preheat Broiler.  Cover a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease.

Stir together breadcrumbs, milk, oil, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano, and thyme in a small bowl.

In a larger bowl, mix together beef, salt, black pepper, white pepper, and parmesan.  Then mix in the breadcrumb mixture.  Don't worry about over-mixing it, just mix until it is all evenly mixed.

Using a small ice cream scooper, scoop the meat into balls onto the baking sheet.  They won't be smooth, like you were hand rolling them, and that's a good thing!  Place the baking sheet under the broiler and cook until the meatballs are browned and crispy on top and cooked through in the center.  I placed mine on the top shelf under the broiler for 4 1/2 minutes to brown, then lowered to the middle shelf for another 3 minutes to cook through.  Do what works best for your oven.

Serve as you like...I did it the traditional way with spaghetti and tomato sauce.

4 comments:

  1. Tried these today. We have to be egg free for my son, who has allergies. Because my bread crumbs were processed in a facility that also processes eggs and nuts, I couldn't use them, so I used some leftover rice instead (which I mashed with the milk). They turned out great!! This is going to be a go-to recipe for me. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy this was a success for you! We love these meatballs! I always keep a batch in the freezer for even quicker meals! I'll keep your rice trick in mind the next time I run out bread crumbs!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't have eggs in the fridge so I googled "eggless meatballs" and your delicious recipe saved our dinner! Your broiling technique was spot on. This is coming from someone who is nervous about using the oven as it is. My fiancé is very happy. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete