Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bison Burger with Grilled Onions and Mushrooms

Over the past few months I have been attempting to provide my family with more wholesome and healthier meals.  It's a work in progress and I seem to learn something new every day, but we are definitely making baby steps in the right direction.  Comparing ground meats, I recently discovered how much better bison meat is compared to beef and in some ways better than chicken and turkey.  It is lower in calories and saturated fat than beef and pork.  It provides more protein than pork, turkey or chicken.  And is lower in fat and cholesterol than all of them.  You can take a look at this Ground Meat Comparison Chart for all the details based on the USDA National Nutritional Database.

My first venture into using bison meat was a "clean" hamburger.  Everyone in the family truly enjoyed it, including myself.  And I tend to not like homemade hamburgers-I always find them to be too meaty.  I know, I'm crazy.  For hubby and me, I served it over brown rice, topped with grilled onions and mushrooms.  For the boys, I made mini burgers and served them on whole wheat dinner rolls with cheddar and the onions and mushrooms on the side.



















1 lb Ground Bison
1/3 tsp. Tamarind Paste
1/3 tsp. Soy Sauce
1/3 tsp. Cider or White Vinegar
Dash Hot Pepper Sauce
Scant pinch Ground Cloves
1/4 tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/8 tsp. Sea Salt
1/8 tsp. Garlic Powder
2 Tb Olive Oil
1 Onion, sliced thick
8 oz Creminis, sliced

Mix first 9 ingredients together and form 4 burgers patties, pressing an indentation in the center to help keep the burgers from thickening too much in the center.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and add onions and mushrooms.  Cook until tender and brown.

Grill until desired doneness. Serve with lettuce, onions and mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment