Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mung Beans

Last Friday I had to have my wisdom teeth removed.  Ugh! Such a pain, but it inspired me to make something I haven't had in a long while, my mom's mung beans.  I make it so that it's a thick soup-like consistency and serve with rice.  It's such a great comfort food for me, without being bland.  The garlic, onions, curry leaves, and asofoetida blend together in such a yummy, comforting way for me.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!



















1 c. Dry Mung Beans
3 Tb Oil
1/4 tsp. Asofoetida
1/2 tsp. Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp. Mustard Seeds
6-8 Curry Leaves
1/2 Onion, diced
6 cloves Garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. Turmeric
1/4-1/2 tsp. Red Chile Powder
Salt, to taste

Cook mung beans in water until very soft.  About 20-25 minutes in a pressure cooker.

In a separate pot, heat oil and add asofoetida, cumin seeds, and mustards seeds.  When seeds are toasted, add curry leaves and onions and cook until onions are translucent.  Stir in garlic, turmeric, and red chile powder.  Add the cooked mung beans with some of the cooking liquid.  Season with salt, to taste.  Let simmer for 10-20 minutes to desired thickness, adding more liquid if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment