Monday, February 6, 2012

Birthday Cakes!!!

Last weekend we celebrated another birthday in the family.  And because of the birthday boy's allergies, I was once again praying to the pastry gods asking to make a decent cake.  Over the last 4 years I have had to sharpen-up  my nonexistent cake-making skills.  I've come a long way from barely being able to make a box-made cake, to getting creative with a Rice Crispy Treat cake, to piling icing on allergy friendly cupcakes, to the best made-from-scratch eggless cake designed as a racetrack.  Don't get me wrong; I still have lots to learn, but it sure felt great to hear people ask where I bought the cake.


This was my first birthday cake: box mix with canned frosting.  Blah.

This was the oh-so-popular rice krispie treat cake. I made this in desperate attempt to have something allergy-friendly for the birthday boy.



















A chocolate football cake made from an allergy-friendly cake mix with green coconut as grass for our football-themed party. 



















Vanilla allergy-friendly cupcakes to match the mod-monkey cake from the bakery (shown below).

And the latest and greatest for our little man's Disney Cars themed party: an eggless from-scratch cake with homemade bavarian cream filling and homemade buttercream frosting.

Below is a link to the recipe I used for the eggless cake. It was SO good! You would never know it was eggless. In the notes, the recipe mentions using cake flour; I highly recommend that . It makes the cake lighter and fluffier. I also sifted the dry ingredients together to making the batter less lumpy.

3 comments: