Thursday, May 5, 2011

Gnocchi with Grilled Chicken and Spinach

A few weeks ago, a friend and I decided to start a dinner co-op. Alternating weekly, one of us cooks dinner for both families while the other comes over to watch the kids. The kids get to have a playdate; the visiting mom a home-cooked meal to take back; and the hosting mom gets to make a dinner without being interrupted by toddlers every few minutes. It’s a win-win-win!

This is one of the dishes I made a few weeks ago for our co-op. I first made it for hubby & me when he brought home a package of gnocchi from the store. I wasn't sure what to serve it with so I started looking for recipes online. I found one recipe that was for home-made spinach gnocchi with a cream sauce. That was the inspiration to this dish; I decided to take the spinach portion of the gnocchi and add it to the sauce. I'm always nervous when I developing a new recipe, but this turned out amazing on the first try! I hope you enjoy!

3-4 Tb Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large Onion, diced
4 cloves Garlic, minced PLUS 1 clove Garlic, minced
2 10-oz pkg Spinach, thawed
2 Tb Butter
1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
2/3 c. White Wine
2 c. Chicken Broth
1 c. Half & Half
1/3 c. Grated Parmesan
1 tsp. Ground Pepper
4 thin sliced Chicken Breasts
2 pkg Gnocchi

Heat oil in pan and sauté onions. Once tender, add 2 cloves minced garlic and spinach and sauté for a few minutes. Set aside and wipe pan clean.

In same pan, heat butter and add remaining minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Deglaze with wine and reduce for 4-5 minutes. Add the broth, half-and-half, and cheese and reduce an additional 3 minutes. Add the pepper and spinach mixture and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Set aside.

Cook gnocchi according to package directions.
Meanwhile, season chicken with salt and grill until cooked through. Let sit for a few minutes, then slice against the grain. Add chicken to the sauce then pour over gnocchi when ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment