Thursday, February 18, 2010

Red Bean Enchiladas


Hello to the blogging world! This is my first foray into blogging and I hope to entertain, help, and maybe even inspire other foodies and moms out there.

To tell you a little about myself, I am an Indian-American, more specifically, a Gujarati-American married to a Bengali-American. Together we have created a spectacular little boy who is now 2 years old and expecting our second son in a few weeks. I am a full time mom and a foodie at heart. My husband and I both love food, and so by default, our son does too.

Our son does suffer from multiple food allergies…soy, dairy, wheat, peanuts, nuts, sesame, and eggs…so feeding him can be a challenge. We learned about his allergies in February '09 and it just about brought my world crashing down. I had no idea what to do as far as feeding him was concerned. He was eating his baby food just fine, but I knew we couldn't go on like that forever. I searched the web and book stores, went to a nutritionist, all of which just brought me back to square one. I was shocked at how few HELPFUL resources there are for parents of infants with multiple food allergies. But after a few months of baby steps (no pun intended), I am a little more comfortable in making foods that he can enjoy.

This blog is to serve two purposes. First to share my love of food and the recipes that I enjoy. And second, to serve as a resource for other moms out there that have infants/young toddlers with multiple food allergies.

For my first recipe, I've decided to share a dish near and dear to my heart, Red Bean Enchiladas. I know, I know, why a tex-mex dish with my Indian background? What can I say, I love my Mexican food! When I make this, I mix the bean filling with some rice to serve to my son.





2 Tb Canola Oil
1/2 tsp. Cumin Seeds
1 Onion, diced
1 clove Garlic
1 14-oz can Red Kidney Beans, drained
1/4 tsp. Red Chile Powder
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
Salt, to taste
2 Tb Tomato Paste
4 Tortillas
1 10-oz can Enchilada Sauce (Recommend: Old El Paso)
6 oz Cheddar Cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Add cumin seeds and let sizzle. Add onion and brown. When onions are slightly caramelized, add garlic, beans, chile powder, cumin, and salt. Cook for a couple minutes then stir in tomato paste and cook for another minute. For a creamier texture, mash the beans with the back of a large spoon.

Coat a casserole dish with oil.

In a sauté pan, heat the tortillas with a brush of oil on each side. Pour enchilada sauce into a dish, then dip one heated tortilla to coat both sides with the sauce. Place the tortilla in the casserole dish and fill with the bean filling. Fold the edges of the tortillas over and repeat the process to fill the remaining enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheddar and cover with foil. Bake in oven for about 10 minutes. Then remove foil and bake for another 5 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling. Serve with your favorite Mexican sides such as refried beans, rice, and avocado salad or guacamole.

4 comments:

  1. Geeta
    Thanks for visiting my site. I have no idea how to legally copyright your blog. You can put some text with copyright mark that will make clear that the content is yours. You can also use watermark on your images

    I have not checked Creative Commons Licensing, check that too if you wish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Blogosphere!
    Sounds delicious! I will have to try. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm hungry for some enchiladas! This is def a great idea! You can also attach it to your Facebook acct so there could me more people who can have access to your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this with me. I think your idea is great. Enchilada really looks good..
    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete